When was the last time you experienced a really intense feeling? Maybe you were angry, maybe you were overwhelmed or maybe you were bursting with pride.
The amazing thing about feelings is that they are the product of our thinking and they drive our actions. Our actions in turn produce our results. If you’re not happy with your results, you need to figure out what you are thinking. Since some of our thoughts fly by in the blink of an eye and never register with our conscious mind, I find starting with my feelings to be an easier place to begin my search.
Here’s what I mean. Let’s say that you were really angry with one of your coworkers. They didn’t show up for a meeting when they said they would and you are pissed. Maybe you are tired of being emotionally controlled by someone else’s actions. Here’s a simple process you can use to find what you are thinking in this situation.
- Pause, name the feeling. Be as specific as possible.
- Ask yourself, why am I feeling this? Write it down.
- Ask yourself, why do I think that? Write it down.
- Repeat step 3 until you have no more answers.
- Ask yourself if your resulting thought is a fact. Would everyone in the world agree that it’s a fact? Nine times out of ten for me, the answer is no.
The fantastic news is that thoughts are in our control. We can change them and believe anything we want anytime we want.
Awareness is critical for any kind of mindset work my friends. Use all the tools in your toolbox to be curious and dig out those ingrained thoughts and beliefs.